COVID-19 UPDATE: The health and safety of our customers, employees and nationwide communities we serve is our highest priority. At this time, we remain fully operational while we continue to monitor the developing situation.
First Time Dumpster Rental Guide
If it’s your first time renting a dumpster for your major remodel or spring cleaning project, we’ve got a guide that won’t waste your time in making the right decision on renting your first roll-off dumpster.
What Size Dumpster Does Your Project Need?
You should choose your dumpster based on the job you need it for as well as on how much space you have to fit the dumpster. Generally, it’s best to choose a larger dumpster than you think you need because it may help avoid overage charges or the cost of needing a second dumpster later. Be sure to measure the area you would like to place your dumpster before ordering so you know what dimensions are most appropriate for your area.
10 YARD DUMPSTERS: Small remodeling projects or medium-sized clean-outs
- Small basement or garage clean-out
- Yard debris
- Small kitchen and bath remodels
- Decks under 300 square feet
- Shingle removals under 1,500 square feet
Holds 10 cubic yards of material – about 3 pickup trucks full of debris
Dimensions: 12 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 4 ft. high
20 YARD DUMPSTERS: Medium-sized remodeling projects or major clean-outs
- Flooring and carpet removal for a large home
- Large basement, attic or garage cleanup
- Decks over 300 square feet
- Shingle removals over 1,500 square feet
Holds 20 cubic yards of material – about 6 pickup trucks full of debris
Dimensions: 22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 4.5 ft. high
30 YARD DUMPSTERS: Commercial purposes, major home additions, or new construction
- Garage demolition
- Replacing windows or siding on a small-to-medium-sized home
Holds 30 cubic yards of material – about 9 pickup trucks full of debris
Dimensions: 22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 8 ft. high
40 YARD DUMPSTERS: Commercial or industrial purposes, but could be used for a major remodel
- Complete window or siding replacement on large home
- Commercial roof jobs or clean-outs
- Removal of a massive amount of trash
Holds 40 cubic yards of material – about 12 pickup trucks full of debris
Dimensions: 22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 8 ft. high
- Call at least a week in advance to ensure you get a container when you need it as we have a limited number of containers on-hand
- All cars and other objects should be removed from your placement location and its surrounding area
- The delivery area should be clear of any hazards like hanging objects like wires or tree branches
- You have to account for the height of the truck and its raised flatbed, which is about 20 feet
- Remember your delivery date
- When will the dumpster be delivered?
- Do I need to be present for the delivery?
Where should I place my dumpster?
- Dumpsters are heavy and will get heavier as you fill them, so it’s best to place them on a solid, flat surface, like a driveway
- Stay away from soft ground like lawns that will increase the likelihood of sinking or damaging the space
- Is there enough room in my driveway for my car?
- Can I avoid placing it at the end of my driveway where it may block the view of drivers and pedestrians?
- Will it block any doors?
- Is there enough room at the walk-in end of the dumpster for easy entry?
- Where will the route be to get to and from my dumpster?
- Will it trample flower beds or create unwanted footpaths on my lawn?
How do I fill my dumpster?
Keep in mind that you are renting someone else’s property, like when you rent a car, so you are responsible for that property while it is in your care. This means that everything that ends up in the dumpster by the time it’s removed—whether you, your neighbor or a stranger put it there—is your concern. A dumpster rental can come with additional charges if you don’t follow the rules associated with the waste industry. Please be specific when telling us what you intend to put into the dumpster to make the ordering process smoother. We’ve provided you with some acceptable and unacceptable examples for what you can put in your roll-off dumpster.
- General household items like housewares, personal items and clothing can all go in a dumpster
- Remodeling debris like drywall, lumber, flooring, cabinetry and siding is also accepted
- Residential and construction debris should not be mixed together
- Items like furniture, clothing, plastics, paper and other general refuse are meant for residential dumpsters
- Materials like concrete, sheetrock or fixtures should be placed in construction dumpsters
- Heavier items will cost more to dump
- Appliances – microwaves, stoves, dishwashers
- Electronics – TVs, computers, printers
- Furniture – wooden furniture
- Yard Waste – tree limbs, shrubs, bags of grass
- Brick, Asphalt, Concrete – use heavy debris dumpster
- Aerosol Cans – empty
- Furniture – upholstered furniture
- Yard Waste – tree stumps
- Aerosol Cans – if liquid is still inside them
- Paint Cans and Lacquers – including paint thinners and wood stains
- Adhesives – glue, epoxy
- Car and Lithium Batteries
- Hazardous Materials – asbestos, pesticides, contaminated soils or absorbents, motor oil, medical waste
- Food Waste
- Household Cleaners
- Ink and Resins
- Oils, Fuels and Propane Tanks
- Railroad Ties
Consult with us to determine the exact cost to dump your materials or if you have additional questions about what you can or cannot dump.
When should I stop loading the dumpster?
When your discarded materials are at the same level with the top of the dumpster is a good stopping point. Don’t risk spillage on your driveway during pickup and as your dumpster is leaving just to try and squeeze in those last few items. Once your dumpster is full, contact us.
- How much notice do I need to give for dumpster removal?
- Do I need to be present for the removal?
What do I do when I'm done?
Sweep off your driveway to avoid a nail or piece of glass piercing your tire or a child’s foot.
Now that you’ve got a project, a rental guide and found your dumpster company, give Bargain Dumpster a call and we’ll get your dumpster rental on its way!