Furniture Removal Costs
If you’re ready to rid yourself of your old furniture, you could hire a junk removal company. If you’ve got one to three smaller pieces of furniture, you could pay from $50-$125. Bigger jobs, however will cost closer to $150 or $175. These prices are generally all-inclusive, so the pick-up, disposal, labor, fuel cost and taxes are all included in the quoted cost. Make sure you ask if there are any other charges before you agree to pay the company, though, to avoid any hidden fees.
If you’re not completely sold on this method of furniture removal, then there are some alternatives to consider as well.
Rent a Dumpster
When there is more than just a few pieces of furniture to get rid of, you could consider renting a 10 or 20 yard dumpster. You can expect to pay around $200 or $350 for a dumpster. The cost may be higher or lower depending on where you are located. If you’re cleaning out your whole home, for example, then a dumpster can be a cost-effective option and you can complete the removal at your own pace.
Take it Yourself
You could always haul the furniture to the landfill yourself if you have a trailer or truck that can fit the furniture. This could seem like the cheapest option, but be sure to consider a few factors before deciding to load up your stuff just yet:
- If the nearest landfill isn’t very close, then fuel costs can add up quickly.
- Do you have a lot of furniture to get rid of? You may have to make multiple trips to the dump to complete the job and could be charged multiple dump fees at the landfill.
- This method is the most time-consuming. You will have to do all of the removal, loading, hauling and unloading yourself.
Sell, Donate or Give Away
If your furniture is still in usable condition, then consider selling it or giving it away online. A popular site for these sorts of deals is Craigslist. If you live in a well-populated area, then your furniture should go quickly. You could also reach out to a local organization to donate the furniture. This way, you are helping your community and can write the donation off on your taxes. Some organizations may have furniture pick up services that you could take advantage of as well. Keep in mind though that these pieces need to be in good condition. If there are excessive rips, stains or sags then you should probably just throw the furniture away.
What Factors Affect Cost
- Where you live will influence the cost of your furniture removal. Some geographic areas just generally charge more for a furniture removal compared to others.
- The distance between your house and the junk hauling company could potentially increase the price to cover extra fuel costs and time.
Volume of Furniture:
- Many junk removal companies base their fees on how much space your furniture takes up in the trucks. So a couple of dining room chairs will cost less than a large sofa because the chairs are taking up less volume.
Ease of Access:
- If your furniture is up five flights of stairs instead of by the curb already, then the junk removal company could potentially charge you more for the complexity of the job.
If you can improve any of these factors to lessen your cost, you should do so before contacting the junk removal company.
Should I Tip?
If the company did a good job, then typical tipping amounts are usually around 5-10% of the cost of the job. If it’s a longer job, then you could even offer the workers drinks or snacks.
What about Discounts?
You won’t know if you don’t ask—there could be a military or senior discount. Additionally, there could be discounts related to the size of the job or if you’re a first time customer. There could be a promotion running on the company’s website or social media page. Check online before calling the company.
Now that you know some of the facts about furniture removal, it’s time to decide. Whether you choose a junk removal company, a dumpster rental, to do it yourself or to donate, make sure you weigh all of your options first. If you find out that your decision wasn’t the most cost-effective, then there’s always next time! Call us today we are always here to help! (803) 573-0003